Friday, May 17th, is National Wear Your Life Jacket to Work Day. Show your friends and colleagues your outdoor side and strap on a life jacket with the rest of us. Let everyone know you are an outdoor nut and that you stand for safety. Plus….some of these jackets are just plain cool to wear!
Boating Safety Tips:
* Always wear a life jacket while in a boat on the water
* All boater ages 13 younger and anyone using a PWC are required by law to wear a United States Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device
* Persons being towed by a boat on skis, a tube, or other similar device must also wear a United States Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device
* Make sure the life jacket you strap on a child actually fits them….chances are when you need a life jacket you really need it to fit!
* Inspect life jackets each time you wear them and discard if excessively worn or damaged
* Avoid alcohol when operating a boat
* Make sure your boat has the require safety equipment – Life jackets, throw cushions, fire extinguishers, and bailing devices are required in most boats (for a complete list of safety equipment check out the 2013 Boating Guide at BoatSafeNebraska.org)
* Boat operators should constantly scan the area and be aware of their surroundings
* Take a Boater Education Class – Anyone born after Dec. 31, 1985, who operates a motorboat or personal watercraft in Nebraska must have successfully completed the Nebraska boating safety course. Visit BoatSafeNebraska.org for a list of classes (I bet even you seasoned boaters would learn something from this awesome course).