Need a good venison burger recipe for a Nebraska deer that you have harvested or will harvest during one of our seasons?
Here is a must-try, very healthy, tasty recipe for those of you who have or will have some wonderful, lean ground deer meat available fresh, or in the frig or freezer. The recipe is actually a healthy twist on an older recipe in my file. Even non-hunters and non-wild game meat eaters visiting the Wagner abode have greatly enjoyed this recipe! It serves about eight people. Bon appetite!
By the way, if you would like to receive or donate some venison, don’t forget about our Nebraska Hunters Helping the Hungry or Deer Exchange Programs.
- 1/3 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons fat-free, plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground venison
- 8 whole wheat or multi-grain hamburger buns, split
- 8 slices reduced-fat or low-fat Pepper Jack cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lime juice, mustard and lime peel; cover and refrigerate until serving.
- In a bowl, combine the onions, yogurt, jalapeno, salt and pepper. Crumble meat over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight patties. Grill until meat is not pink and cooked thoroughly. Top with cheese. Serve on buns; top with mayonnaise mixture … Mmmm!