Its here. The rut is on. November Deer Season starts Saturday.
Nebraska is a deer hunting state. And true to our title of the Mixed Bag Capital the state has 2 species of deer.
To experience the most from this year’s deer season here are the five things you gotta do…
1) Find the does. The bucks are doing just that and so should you. Being 100 yards or so downwind of several travel routes to/from bedding areas can mean success in seeing the deer you have been thinking about. Just be cautious not to hunt in or too near the bedding area which could send all deer out of the area.
2) Rattle, rattle and rattle some more. It’s surprising how few rifle hunters take the rattling antlers to the woods. Its effective and can help draw bucks to you. Just be ready to shoot when deer do sneak in looking to tussle. Here’s a tutorial on the technique: The Outdoor Insider
3) Be comfortable and hunter longer. Be there early and stay as long as you can. To do that you have to be comfortable. Staying warm is a big part of being comfortable. Hand and foot warmers, thermos of coffee/hot chocolate and never forget plenty of snacks. If you don’t have permanent blind to hunt from, use a pop-up with some extra orange on it. Then you can even add a portable propane heater.
4) Share your passion. Take someone out with you. If even just to observe the hunt. Family members are sometime the best options or a friend from work. Hunts are meant to be fun and spending time with those you care about ensures there will be memories to last well beyond the shots fired.
5) Get pictures. Better yet some video. Living in the digital age you are never far from your picture taking, film making device. So capture these events while you can. Remember film might have been cheap but pixels are free and the 2018 deer season only happens once a year.