After receiving 364 submissions during the first phase of our “name-the-chick” contest, a blue ribbon committee had the tremendous challenge of selecting finalists. After gut-wrenching deliberations and fierce debate, the committee chose six finalists. With finalists selected, it is now time for “the people” to have the final word and give our Peregrine Falcon a name. Below, the finalists are listed and justification is provided explaining why each name is worthy of consideration. Below the the list of finalists is the actual poll. The finalists, in alphabetical order, are:
- Bertram: In honor of Bertram Goodhue, the architect of the Nebraska Capitol.
- Dinan: In honor of John J. Dinan, former Nongame Bird Program Manager at the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission . John was instrumental in initiating the Peregrine Falcon projects at the Nebraska Capitol and WoodmenLife Tower. John Dinan passed away from cancer at age 51 in 2005, the first year a Peregrine Falcon fledged from the Capitol. Before John died, he selected the name of the first peregrine falcon chick that fledged, Pioneer.
- Legacy: The chick carries the legacy of his parents, 19/K and Ally, who have raised 22 other offspring during their reign (2005 – present).
- Nebraska: In honor of the state the Peregrine Falcon chick was hatched and raised.
- Solo: The chick was the only one out of five eggs to hatch; also a reference to the Star Wars character.
- Survivor: The eyas is the only survivor of five eggs, has survived with only one parent for much of his upbringing and survived some nasty weather (storms, extreme heat).
Below is the poll to cast your vote. Please note that only one vote can be cast for each unique IP address. If you have several devices in your home and they are on the same IP address, only one vote can be cast from them. This is done so any one person cannot “stuff the ballot box”. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Thanks to everyone that submitted a name and thanks to everyone for voting. Voting ends at 11:59 p.m. on 26 June. The winner is expected to be announced on 27 or 28 June.
Happy voting and good birding!